These are a nice, refreshingly light little cookie that is just perfect for Spring. Hope you enjoy!
Italian Lemon Drop Cookies
Download Printable Version
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- ¼ cup shortening
- ½ cup milk (reconstituted powdered milk)
- 1 large egg, beaten (2 Tbsp egg powder + 4 Tbsp water)
- 2 tsp lemon extract
- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- Combine the flour, sugar, and baking powder in a large mixing bowl. Cut in the shortening. Stir in the milk, egg, and lemon extract. Mix until well blended.
- Roll the dough into 1-inch balls with floured hands. Place the cookies on a lightly greased cookie sheet, about 1 inch apart.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or just until golden brown. Place the cookie sheet on a cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
- While the cookies are cooling, prepare the frosting.
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- ¼ cup warm milk (reconstituted powdered milk)
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- Combine the shortening and sugar in a medium bowl using a pastry blender.
- Stir in the warm milk, a little at a time, until the shortening is a good consistency to spread. Stir in the lemon extract.
- Spread a thin layer of frosting on the cooled cookies, or I actually like to dip the top of the cookie into the bowl of frosting to get a nice smooth top. 🙂