Fair Warning: If you make these, you will eat them like a bad habit! (Don’t say I didn’t warn you!)
These cookies are absolutely delicious. They’re subtly sweet, light, and very addicting! You’ll want to snatch one every time you pass the cookie jar. 🙂 They’re completely shelf stable and you’ve likely got everything you need to make them sitting in your pantry right now! So go whip up a batch and enjoy!
Amazing Almond Cookies
Download Printable Version
- 1 cup, plus 3 Tbsp vegetable shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg (2 Tbsp egg powder + 4 Tbsp water)
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- almonds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- With a mixer, cream together the shortening and sugar in a large bowl. Beat in the egg and almond extract.
- In another bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Add to the wet ingredients and stir with a spoon until mostly incorporated. Once it is mostly combined, you can use the mixer to finish mixing it.
- Scoop a spoonful of dough and form into a walnut-sized ball. (Note: the dough may be fairly crumbly, but if you press it together firmly in your hand it will come together and allow you to shape it.) Place the ball onto an ungreased cookie sheet and press slightly with your thumb to create a flat spot on top. (You can add an almond on top here if you’d like… I didn’t want to.)
- Bake for 14-17 minutes, or until the cookies have barely started to turn golden. Remove and allow to cool for 5 minutes on the cookie sheet before transferring to a wire cooling rack. (If you try to remove them from the cookie sheet too early, they will crumble and fall apart on you.) Enjoy!!
Adapted from AllRecipes.com