Y’all are going to get a kick out of this recipe. It is Pantry Guacamole made from all shelf stable ingredients. Are you wondering how we got shelf stable avocados? Me too! But actually, we didn’t. This recipe uses canned peas instead of avocados! Crazy. I know! When I first came across this recipe, I thought it was so bizarre that I just HAD to try it. I figured there was no way this could pass as guacamole! So I whipped up a batch, chilled it in the fridge for a few hours, and then when Hubby came home from work I told him I had some guacamole for him to try (this is before I had even tasted it). He tasted it, his eyes lit up, and he said, “MMmm! That’s good!” I looked at him skeptically and said, “Really?” He assured me it was and then wondered why I was skeptical (as he kept putting chip after chip with this ‘guacamole’ in his mouth). I told him it was made from peas instead of avocados and he totally paused in disbelief. I went ahead and tried it, and knowing that it was made from peas, I could taste a hint of the pea flavor, but seriously… I was impressed! The kidlettes ate it with no problem whatsoever, and I’d say we’ve got ourselves a go-to little snack for when fresh avocados aren’t around (or are just too dang expensive)! 🙂
Download Printable Version
- 1 Tbsp dried minced onion
- 1 (15 oz) can peas, drained
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1½ tsp lemon juice
- 1/3 cup salsa or picante sauce, plus 2 Tbsp
- ¼ tsp chili powder (more if you like it hot!)
- In a small bowl, soak the onion in some warm water for about 5 minutes. Drain.
- Using a food processor (or other similar blending device), blend together the peas, garlic, salt, lemon, the 1/3 cup salsa, and the chili powder until smooth.
- Stir in the remaining salsa and onion. Chill for at least 1 hour to allow the flavors to come together.
- Serve with tortilla chips or on your favorite Mexican dish. Enjoy!
Recipe originally from SimplyPrepared.com