This recipe comes from my mother-in-law. It is absolutely de.li.cious! I had it for the first time last year at our family Thanksgiving and just about melted. It’s almost more of a dessert than a side dish, but *shhh!* It will be our secret! 🙂
Sweet Potato Bake
Download Printable Version
- 1 large can (29 oz) sweet potatoes, drained
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup melted butter (4 Tbsp)
- 2 eggs (4 Tbsp egg powder + ½ cup water)
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
For the Topping:
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1 cup chopped nuts (recommended: pecans or walnuts)
- Preheat oven to 325 ºF.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sweet potatoes, sugar, butter, eggs, and vanilla. Mix until smooth. Pour into a lightly greased 9 x 13 baking dish and spread evenly.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the brown sugar and flour for the topping. Add the butter and mix until evenly combined. Then stir in the nuts. Sprinkle the topping evenly over the sweet potato mixture.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the topping is lightly browned. Enjoy!
P.S. This recipe is for ‘With Electricity’ because of the butter (unless you have Butter Powder or canned butter).
Update: I got to make this dish for Thanksgiving this year, and I happened to have about a cup of canned pumpkin sitting in my fridge, so I threw that in there as well. It turned out delicious. I’m sure you could fiddle with some pumpkin pie spice to throw in there as well and give it a little ‘something extra’. 🙂 But it’s a tasty dish any way you serve it!