These sandwiches are so fun and refreshing… you’d never guess it was food storage! Even better is how versatile they are. They can be dressed up and served at a fancy affair, or dressed down and served at the kiddie table. Either way, they are a crowd pleaser.
Chicken Salad Sandwiches
Download Printable Version
- 1 quart canned chicken, drained and rinsed
- 1-2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 Tbsp McCormick’s Grilled Chicken seasoning (I like the Montreal style)
- 1 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing (Miracle Whip)
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp celery salt
- 2/3 cup dried cranberries (Craisins)
- 2/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted (or salted cashews, roughly chopped)
- bread of your choosing (croissants, rolls, sliced bread, pita, etc.)
Optional ingredients for dressing it up:
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 1/2 cup grapes, sliced
- 1/2 cup apples, diced
- In a large saucepan, heat up the oil. Add the chicken and seasoning and lightly saute for about 2 minutes. Remove pan from heat.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the mayo (or salad dressing), pepper, garlic powder, and celery salt. Mix until well combined.
- Then toss in the chicken, dried cranberries, nuts, and any of the other ingredients you are using. (Note, if you are going to be using a lot of extras, you may want to boost the amount of mayo to help keep everything moist and together.)
- Chill for one hour (or more) prior to serving. You could even make it a day in advance and just keep it chilled until ready to serve.
- To serve, simply slice your bread of choice and put on a thick layer of the chicken salad. Close up your sandwich and enjoy!
- Yields approximately 8 sandwiches.
Adapted from Grilled Chicken Salad Sandwich