Ever since I learned about Quinoa I’ve been looking for some good recipes that incorporate it. Really you can use Quinoa just about anywhere you would use rice or couscous. However, I wanted some recipes that really made it shine. This is a good one. It’s so light and refreshing. I’ve listed it as a dinner, but you could easily use it as a lunch and I also love to eat it just as a snack throughout the day! It doesn’t get much more healthy than this, so eat guilt-free to your heart’s content!
Southwestern Quinoa Salad
- 1 cup of Quinoa
- 1½ cups water
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- juice from 3 limes (about 3 Tbsp)
- 2 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp chili powder
- a dash of cayenne pepper (or ground chipotle chili powder)
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp minced garlic (or 4 cloves, minced)
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can whole kernel corn, drained
- salt and pepper to taste
- Grilled chicken tenders, about 2 per person (optional)
Optional Ingredients From The Garden:
- 1-2 bell peppers (any color of your choice), diced
- half a red onion
- ¼ cup cilantro
- In small pot, combine the quinoa, water, bouillon, and salt. Bring to a simmer and then turn heat to low and allow to cook for roughly 30 minutes (or until water is absorbed). Fluff lightly with a fork and allow to cool.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the lime juice, cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper, vinegar, olive oil, and garlic. Whisk together.
- In another bowl, combine the black beans, corn, and any of the garden items you have available. (They’re optional because this is a shelf stable meal without them. But if you can get/grow them, they add a whole lot to the dish! So try not to omit them.)
- After the quinoa has cooled, combine it with the black bean mixture. Pour the dressing over the top and mix it in thoroughly. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature.
- Optional addition: You can also add some grilled chicken to top this off beautifully. However, since quinoa is a complete protein on its own, you don’t need the chicken for protein purposes. It would only be for the sheer pleasure of your palate. 🙂 I like to add the chicken… especially if I’m serving this as the main course. 🙂 If you’re using this in a time when you’re living off your food supply, you could also just use canned chicken. Just saute it up with some grilling seasoning first. Enjoy!