This is a deliciously satisfying and fun dinner. Everyone can get involved in creating their own meal! And even better, there’s no limit to what you can put on these bad boys. If you’ve got it in the cupboard, there’s a good chance it may taste good on this! So don’t be a chicken, and just load these with all the great goodness you can think of. Enjoy!
Download Printable Version
- 1½ cups Rice
- 1 can Chicken Broth, plus 1 cup water (or 3 cups water + 2 bouillon cubes)
- A dash of Salt
Chicken Gravy Ingredients:
- 1 pint Canned Chicken
- 1 can condensed Cream of Chicken soup*
- 1 cup Chicken Broth (or 1 cup of water/milk + 1 bouillon cube)
- A dash of Garlic Powder
- A dash of freshly ground Black Pepper
- Pineapple Tidbits (this is our favorite)
- Mandarin Oranges
- Shredded Cheese
- Chopped Bell Peppers (if available, or from the garden)
- Celery (if available, or from the garden)
- Green Onions (if available, or from the garden)
- Peas (frozen or from the garden)
- Chow Mein Noodles
- Shredded Coconut
- Sunflower Seeds
- Anything else you can think of!
- Start by cooking your rice. Cook according to package directions, but use chicken broth instead of water and add a dash of salt.
- While the rice is cooking, go ahead and prepare your chicken gravy. In a small pot, combine the chicken, cream of chicken soup, chicken broth, garlic powder, and pepper over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low to simmer and keep warm until your rice is done.
- Finally, prepare your toppings. Chop up any veggies that need chopping, slice up anything that needs slicing. Put them all out in little individual bowls for everyone to be able to grab at. You can use spoons if you’re the sanitary type, but we’re a ‘hands-in’ type of family. Unless, of course, we have company over. Then we bring out our manners. 🙂
- To Serve: There’s no right or wrong way to serve these, but traditionally, you put a pile of rice on your plate, top it with the chicken gravy, and then throw on as many toppings as your little heart desires.
- Eat and enjoy!! Serves a family of 4. (In the picture above, the chicken gravy is doubled… it was WAY more than we needed. :))
Note: If you need to increase the serving amount just double the chicken gravy recipe (with the exception of the chicken), and then increase your rice based on the following rule: 1+2=3. That is to say, 1 cup of uncooked rice + 2 cups of water = 3 cups of prepared rice. You’ll want approximately 1 to 1½ cups of prepared rice per person for this meal. So for a family of 6, you can use 2 cups of rice, plus 4 cups water/broth to equal 6 cups of prepared rice, etc.
*For a gluten-free recipe, be sure to use gluten-free cream of chicken soup. Everything else is safe (except the Chow Mein noodles in the toppings list.)