These blueberry muffins are yum-yum-yummy! They’re a bit heavy on the sugar side (although they don’t taste overly sweet) to be a ‘healthy’ breakfast, so you’d likely want to pair this with some fresh fruit, a healthy smoothie, or perhaps some bacon. 🙂 There’s also a crumb topping that you can omit if you’re trying to watch the sugar (I’d just use the topping for special occasions).
Delicious Blueberry Muffins
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour (I use white wheat)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg (or reconstituted egg powder)
- 1/2 cup milk (or reconstituted powdered milk)
- 1 can blueberries, drained (or 1 cup fresh)
Optional Crumb Topping:
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Generously grease muffin cups or line with muffin liners. (Spray the top of the muffin tray as well as in the cups to prevent the muffin tops from sticking).
- Combine the flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder. In a 1 cup measuring cup, place the vegetable oil, add the egg, and then add enough milk to fill the rest of the cup (should be about 1/2 cup of milk). Add this with the flour mixture and mix until fully combined. Fold in the blueberries.
- Fill muffin cups (fill right to the top for large muffins, or about 2/3 full for average size). Sprinkle with crumb topping mixture (if using).
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until done.
- To make the crumb topping: mix together the sugar, flour, butter and cinnamon. Using a fork, cut through the butter until is starts making a crumbly mixture. Add to the muffins before baking.
Adapted from ‘To Die For Blueberry Muffins’ at Allrecipes.com