Hey ladies. Anyone wanting a trip to the beauty salon but feeling the price tag is just a bit hefty for these days and circumstances? Well I came across this article called Beauty Tips: Use Natural Foods for a Beautiful You and found some awesome, *cheap*, homemade alternatives to the expensive salon products.
Here’s a quick recap of my favorite ideas (you can click the title of the article above for the full list):
- Use cucumbers to tone your face. Either use thin slices or the juice (not really sure how you juice a cucumber(?!)) and apply to your face for 10 to 20 minutes (just let them rest there). Then remove and rinse thoroughly.
- Looking for a way to use your powdered milk supply?? Use skim milk powder instead of cold cream to wash your face. (Who would have thought?!) It is great for all skin types, just be sure to rinse your skin thoroughly after use.
- Here’s another milk use: Treat yourself to a relaxing bath. While running your bath, pour one cup of powdered skim milk into the bath water. The milk will gently exfoliate your skin and leave it nice and soft.
- Another bath option: Relax in an oatmeal bath! Oatmeal will soften and exfoliate your skin. Just pour a 1/2 cup of whole oats into a piece of cheesecloth and fasten it tight. Add it to your bath water and just soak in the oatmeal goodness. Don’t forget to light your favorite scented candles! 🙂
- For a fabulous skin, hair and nails moisturizing treatment following your luxurious bath (or after a shower), use a light virgin olive oil (or almond oil or avocado oil) to massage into your skin. Put a few drops of it into a small container and add a few drops of your favorite natural scent (lavender is apparently a good one). After your bath and while your skin is still moist, massage the oil into your skin, around your fingernails and cuticles, and then run your fingers through your hair. This also works as a facial to alleviate dry skin.
- Both cool cucumber slices or grated potato will remove puffiness from your eyes. Just leave for 15 minutes and remove.
- Shiny facial skin? Combine 10 drops of lemon juice with 1/2 cup water and dab the mixture onto your face with a cotton ball or soft cloth. Do not rinse your face.
- Dry hair? Heat 1/2 cup mayonnaise in the microwave for about 15 seconds, then apply to your dry hair. Cover your head/hair with a plastic bag (do NOT cover your face) and leave it for 20 minutes. Remove the bag and then go shower and rinse your hair with warm water and shampoo as normal. Your hair will look great.
- Remove wrinkles with seedless grapes. (Oh, I am SO trying this one!!) Cut grapes in half, crush gently and apply to wrinkles on your face and neck. Repeat daily and watch wrinkles and crows feet vanish.
- For whiter teeth, mash strawberries in a small container and then dip your toothbrush to cover the bristles. Brush vigorously. Strawberries will remove both yellowing and stains.
- And for a dry skin facial, beat two egg yolks in a small container and apply them to your face with a soft cloth or cotton ball. Avoid your eyes. Leave for 15 minutes without speaking. Rinse with warm water and pat dry. Egg yolks tone and tighten facial and neck skin. Use this beauty treatment weekly for incredible (dare I say ‘incredible, edible’? :)) results.
The article also notes that using natural foods is a lot better for your skin since many of the ‘expensive’ products contain ingredients that can actually damage your skin. Sweet! It’s cheaper and better for your skin. Double bonus! 🙂
So go on ladies! Pamper yourselves! We deserve it!! Especially for this price! 😉